Sunday, November 19, 2006

Wardround 17xi6

A brief blog, sorry.

This week we discussed alternative medicine. I would like to hold on to the concept from the professor of alternative medicine in Exeter: Alternative medicine (as opposed to conventional medicine) is a treatment that has not yet been shown (with scientific rigour) to be effective. By his definition a substantial part of conventional practice is 'alternative'. We should not forget that. I find the NCCAM website http://nccam.nih.gov/ a useful first port of call when a patient asks about a specific complementary treatment.

The read and think for next week will be Measuring quality of life. Is there such a thing as a life not worth living?
Bobbie Farsides,  Robert J Dunlop BMJ 2001;322:1481-1483 ( 16 June ).

I had to leave before the end of the presentations this week so if you already have assignments for next week, do those. If not, let's have two minutes on "an episode which changed me/my practice".

MJM

No comments: