Friday, September 23, 2005

MJM Wardround 23ix05

This week’s two minute tutorials were themed around pneumonia:
There is an extended version of my talk about aspiration pneumonia on the podcast (see below). I will record the two minute version and publish that after the weekend. The prize for this week goes to Dr Kidder (for his excellent timing!). Would each person post one fact from their talk in the comments, please?

I have found the themed tutorials much better than random subject choices and we have decided to make the two minute tutorials themed each week. Perhaps we will have an occasional freestyle week? Dr Jones had suggested the theme for next week, keeping the ID flavour: hospital acquired infection. Here are the topics:

MRSA bacteraemia - NM
Hospital acquired pneumonia - DK
Pseudomonas Pneumonia (not CF) - Nawaz
C. Difficile - Bhasker
Catheter related UTI - SS

We would like an A4 sheet to highlight the important points. You can see my effort from this week in the aspiration pneumonia post (click on summary)


The reading for next week is:
A Necessary Inhumanity? Ruth Richardson. Journal of Medical Ethics 2000;26;104-106

You should be able to get the PDF using your Athens password.

We have decided in future to discuss the week’s paper at coffee on Tuesday rather than Friday, which is already quite busy, so I will write a little about the antibiotic timing paper (see WR 16ix05) next week.


Interesting topics this week:

Hypercalcaemia and bilateral hilar lymphadenopathy
Mycobacterium avium
Giardiasis
Indications for pacing in Heart block
Hypothalamic function
AIDS lipodystrophy

Don’t forget your two minute tutorials should be concise and precise.



If anyone out there would like to submit two minute tutorials for the podcast, just leave me a note in one of the comments.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Interesting fact about aspiation pneumonia:
Antibiotics are not routinely needed following aspiration, only if very unwell or not improved by 48hrs.

Naveen K Mohan said...

A major point I learnt this week regarding pneumococcal pneumonia is that sputum 'culture' alone is less sensitive & false positives are common but in 80 - 90 % cases gram staining will show gram positive diplococci.

GPonLine said...

The link to "giardiasis" is broken. It seems to be joined to the link for indications for pacing in heart block

GPonLine said...

Dr Jones put me on to this blog. As I GP it's not all useful stuff, or at least I'm hoping I don't have to pace someone with heart block.
Your Blog is a world away from the ward rounds I was taught on as a medical student. I don't think that they had changed much in 50 yrs - great stuff.
Would it be possible for the 2 minute tutorials to be published on the site?

Mike McMahon said...

Thanks for the alert...I have fixed the link. I need to review the html a litle better when posting.

Naveen K Mohan said...

MRSA bacteraemia: A4 tutorial sheet posted on my web log (kmneo.blogspot.com)

GPonLine said...

Thanks Naveen, this looks good and tells me most of what I need to know.
I was interested in the measures that hospital staff have to take. Do the staff ever have to have nasal swabs to identify those of you who are colonised? Could you type the MRSA to identify the guilty clinician?
Years ago I seem to recall a neurosurgical tutor who was banned from the operating room because his nose was colonised with Staph. aureus.

Anonymous said...

We don't have routine screening, though I have been down to have my hands and stethoscope swabbed just for fun.