Monday, August 13, 2007

Wardround 10viii7

This week’s talks were about common drugs.. Coamoxiclav, Loop diuretics, LMWH and aspirin. You will become aware over time that I tend to be impressed by talks with a practical bent to them. So I may not care that furosemide is protein bound, but I am very interested that its effectiveness may be impaired in nephrotic syndrome due to the drug remaining bound to protein in the tubular lumen, since I need to give higher doses. It was good to see sources quoted. The week’s prize to Dr Reidy: good handout, sources quoted and an interesting slant on aspirin.

The reading last week had been A Necessary Inhumanity? Ruth Richardson. Journal of Medical Ethics 2000;26;104-106. The inhumanity discussed is apparently developed by doctors, for our own protection and to allow us to provide better care. We call it clinical detachment. I have no douibt that some doctors are inhumane, as her examples illustrate, but are we all? I do not think that I am inhumane when I remain calm (detached from the expected emotional response) in the face of severe illness in my patient. What do you think?

The talks for the coming week are related to encephalitis:

Herpes simplex encephalitis Dr Reidy
West Nile Virus Encephalitis Dr Waters
Japanese encephalitis Dr Anderson
Cerebral lupus Dr Ghanbari

The reading for next week is Does this patient have abnormal central venous pressure? Cook, Deborah J; Simel, David L JAMA; Feb 28, 1996; vol 275 (8): 630-634

Interesting topics

Staphylococcal septicaemia, excellent articles in uptodate.

DIC

MJM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...I do not think that I am inhumane when I remain calm (detached from the expected emotional response) in the face of severe illness in my patient..."

"The human body is the best picture of the human soul" - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations